Originally developed from the ancient Chinese massage technique anmo, shiatsu evolved in the early 1900’s in Japan. It is based on the concept of qi—the body’s vital life force flowing through defined channels or meridians along the surface of the body. When the body’s vital energy flow or qi is normal and harmonious, the body is balanced and healthy. Gentle yet firm pressure is applied along the meridians of the arms, legs, back, neck and head to open the pathways of qi to flow. Specific acupressure points are chosen and held in various combinations to further balance the qi. Acupressure points are specific locations along the meridians where the flow of qi gathers in vortices spiraling in inward and outward directions. Pressure or pain at a particular acupoint can reflect an imbalance. Stimulation of these acupoints will encourage deep muscular relaxation, circulation of blood, and qi balancing. A person will experience varying sensitivity at these acupoints depending on his/her condition. Sensations of softness, hardness, soreness, ticklishness, pulsation, heat or cold reflect obstruction in the energy along the meridian pathway. Oftentimes, the rhythm of shiatsu technique and the acupressure to the point sequences form a dance-like movement that lulls the recipient into a deep state of relaxation. Warmed stones and aromatherapy are also incorporated into your session for deeper relaxation and benefit.
This type of massage is traditionally a floor based bodywork, done on a padded mat, with the recipient wearing loose comfortable clothing. Aromatherapy, warmed stones, wrapped in cloth, and pillows are sometimes used to provide additional comfort and support for your body. This bodywork can also be modified to be done on a table and incorporated in your regular massage session. Please advise of your preference when booking your session.
AT THERAPY BY THE SEA, ACUPRESSURE/SHIATSU IS USUALLY MIXED WITH OTHER EASTERN MODALITIES AND IS REFERRED TO AS ‘EASTERN FUSION‘.
IF YOU WISH TO RECEIVE ONLY ACUPRESSURE/SHIATSU IN YOUR SESSION, PLEASE LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENT SECTION WHEN YOU PLACE YOUR RESERVATION.
- FOCUS – 30 min:
- FOCUS X 2 (Duet): $100.00
- FOCUS X 2 (Duets) are TWO 30 minute sessions (60 minutes with one therapist)
- Includes basic aromatherapy and warmed stones strategically placed to enhance relaxation.
- FOCUS X 2 (Duet): $100.00
* Unless pre-arrangements have been made, all of our 30 minute – Mini Focus Duet (Couple) and Great Escape sessions are done with one therapist within an hour block of time. For the best possible experience we actually encourage this, for while one person is being worked on by the therapist, it allows for the other person to sink into a deeper state of relaxation with the warmed stones we use. Two therapists can be arranged, but is based on the availability of the 2nd therapist. If you would still like to see if we can schedule the sessions at the same time, please let us know when you place your reservation.